Friday, May 15, 2009

Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

When I started my little garden at my apartment, I asked my friend's mom, a landscape designer, if she had any tips for me. She said "plants like water." I took her advice, and had been pretty diligent about getting my little friends watered about twice a week. They were looking rather good, too. My basil was getting really big, and while my lavender didn't have any blooms yet, it smelled great.

But I've been kind of busy this week, and usually haven't gotten home until late or been so caught up in cleaning or cooking that it was dark before I knew it. I may be crazy, but I just don't like going out on my balcony at night.

Last night as I was walking up to my apartment stairs after having dinner with a friend from my Bible study, I looked up at my balcony and saw my basil pot was tipped over. When I got inside, I went out to straighten it up.

Um. It was kind of hot this week. In the upper 80s, lower 90s. Welcome to "spring" in Houston, otherwise known as "summer."

My basil was dry as a doornail, and all its leaves were droopy and limp. The thyme didn't look so good either. Or the parsley or lavender. My rosemary was OK looking itself, but its soil was almost dry as a doornail. Oops.

So I watered everything last night really well. Then I watered everything again this morning really well. I would have watered again tonight, but I'm not there. I had been so proud of how my little herbs were growing, and you know what they say about pride coming before the fall...

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I read this to my mom because, well, it pertains to her. She says you should try watering your plants with ice cubes. Just place them around the base of the plant and it will soak in slowly to the roots. She says this way, you won't drown the people underneath you with your watering :)She also says, there is hope for your plants..."they might not be dead, you never know."