Friday, July 25, 2008

It's just a little thing, but...

One thing that has developed during my college career is my self-diagnosed OCD. I'm not like Monk, but some things just irritate me a little if they aren't done a certain way. Your way might make sense, but mine makes more sense. If only everyone would just realize that, my life would be much easier. It's quite a job making the world know that my way is right.

Anyway, on to my point.

I'm taking a literature class on Shakespeare for my last 3 hours of credit. The premise of the class is "Teen Shakespeare," so we read the play and then watch a film adaptation that is geared towards teenagers. One of the class requirements is that everyone in the class post at least one discussion question on a class message board each week, and then respond to at least one other question. You would think that, considering this is an English class and that our professor regularly reads the message board, everyone would be conscious of things like grammar and correct spelling.

Apparently not so much.

I cannot believe the amount of sentence fragments, grammatical mistakes, un-capitalized "i"s, and misspelled words. Now, I realize that what with email, text messaging, instant messaging and whatnot that there is a great deal of leniency online with grammar. Sometimes I ignore the whole capitalization thing when I'm emailing my friends (never my mother, because she will reply to the email and point out the mistake), and a sentence fragment or two doesn’t drive me crazy in an informal setting. But an academic message board for an English literature class…call me crazy, but I think that's one place proper grammar should still exist.

1 comment:

Mamacito said...

Grammatical corrections occur when you are submitting written work for a grade or a professional letter. Occasionally, a correction is made during a conversation. Those missing "ly" ending just grate on my nerves.
Love ya, Mamacito.