Thursday, August 21, 2008

Shalom, or Clingy Like a Star-fish

Earlier this week I skipped choir to have dinner and hang out with three of my good friends: my roommate from Europe, CT , and her former roommates SR and MR. We laughed, we ate cake, and we got a little teary-eyed because it was the last time we'll be able to hang out like that for awhile. Both CT and SR are going abroad within this week; CT's leaving tomorrow for four months and SR's leaving next week for two years. I spent so much time over the past two years at their College Station house that they jokingly call me the "other roommate," and it's going to be weird not having them within easy driving distance.

When we were leaving CT's to all go home, SR said she never says good-bye. So, SR and CT, instead of good-bye, I'll say (or, write...) the benediction we always sang at my church in CS:

"Shalom to you now, shalom, my friends.
May God's full mercies bless you, my friends.
In all your living and through your loving,
Christ be your shalom, Christ be your shalom."

1 comment:

Carrie said...

your benediction almost made me cry...you big jerk. But I love you all the same. :)