Thursday, November 6, 2008

Proofreader Needed...Desperately

Allow me to lay a few things out for you before writing the rest of this post:
  • I have self diagnosed OCD. Some things should just really be a certain way.
  • I am a perfectionist. See previous statement.
  • I had a junior high English teacher, Mrs. M., who gave us extra credit for finding typos in print. See previous two statements.
  • I do practically nothing at work except watch training PowerPoint presentations.
Do you see where this is going?

Thanks to Mrs. M., I constantly look for typos. If it's somewhere I can fix it, such as a handout or a textbook, I have to fix it. When it's somewhere I can't fix it, say, on a PowerPoint slide that I'm not controlling, I can't concentrate on what's going on.

Here are some examples from my week:
  • Make sure to agree the recommendation with Mr. Smith.
  • Attend progress meetings at supliers work.
  • Monitor and progress the completion.
  • Tthe transition.
  • Processes are focussed.
  • Felxibility.
  • Is a:- I believe one of those forms of punctuation is perfectly adequate.
  • Programme I only add this because I had a professor who said "We live in the United States of America. Unless you're the Queen, don't use the Queen's English."*
  • Major purchases or automobile, truck, computer, or domestic appliance. Isn't a truck an automobile?
  • Missing commas that made oh so many run-on sentences.
  • Alternating periods at the ends of lines, which drove my OCD mind bonkers.
This one was from my dictionary.com Word of the Day (shut up), mot juste:
  • a word or phrase that exacts fits the case.
I mean, really people. Proofreading isn't that hard. Spell/grammar check on Microsoft Word may not catch everything, but it certainly would have caught some of these.

*Generally, I agree with my professor. However, in my opinion, theatre is always spelled "theatre," not theater. Don't ask me why. It just is.

2 comments:

Leen said...

As a theatre major, I can inform you that if you are speaking of the building it is theater. If you are speaking of the art it is theatre. Done and Done! Love you!!!

Kim said...

I knew I hadn't been friends with you so long for nothing.